So I had a friend over to stay for a couple days and decided to show off my cooking prowess with this quick huevos rancheros inspired dish. As we’re not used to eating really hot food in the morning I skimped out on the chili, using only a deseeded green finger chili, a sprinkle of chili flakes and some ground chipotle chili – still sounds like a lot doesn’t it? Trust though as, much like baby bears porridge, was just right.
Ingredients Serves 2
- 1 Medium Onion, sliced
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 400g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Green Finger Chili, deseeded and sliced
- 1/3 tsp Dry Chili Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle Chili Flakes
- 5 – 10ml Agave Nectar (you can use honey instead)
- 1/2 tsp Mild Chili Powder
- 7g Fresh Coriander (Cilantro)
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Olive Oil for frying
- 30g Cheddar, finely grated (I actually used 25g Protein Cheese and 5g Parmesan)
- In a medium sized pan on a medium heat drizzle some Olive Oil and add the Onions, saute them for 5 minutes until they have all turned slightly translucent.
- Add the sliced Green Finger Chili, Chili Flakes, Chipotle Flakes, Smoked Paprika and Mild Chili Powder and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring regularly – it can help to add 10ml of water to help the powder disperse evenly throughout the pan.
- Over a high heat, pour in a 400g tin of Chopped Tomatoes; roughly teared and add 5g of the fresh Coriander(Cilantro) and stir regularly for 5 minutes until mixture has reduced somewhat.
- On a medium heat, stir in 5ml of Agave Nectar and taste and add more if necessary – Tip: adding something sweet when using tinned tomatoes helps take away the metallic bitter taste sometimes present in canned foods.
- Make a small indent for one egg on one side of the pan and add the Egg, repeat procedure for the second. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese, place a lid on top of the pan and leave on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle 2g of chopped Coriander and Serve.
I recommend serving this dish with a crusty roll and butter